International News Bulletin — August 18, 2026
Politics
- Iran shifts to a fully offensive posture as Trump rules out talks – A senior Iranian official told Reuters that Tehran will move to a “fully offensive” military footing after efforts to turn the expired 60-day memorandum with Washington into a permanent settlement stalled. President Donald Trump wrote on Tuesday that “there are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with Iran, and posted a map labelling the Strait of Hormuz “NEW US Territory”. Iran’s lead negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said the waterway would stay shut until the United States lifted its naval blockade, its sanctions and its asset freezes.
- Israel strikes a Syrian airbase, drawing a rare US rebuke – Eight air strikes hit the Abu al-Duhur base in eastern Idlib early on Tuesday, damaging the runway and storage buildings without causing casualties, Syrian state media said. Damascus condemned the raids as a violation of its sovereignty, Jordan called them “an unjustified act of aggression” and Turkey demanded international accountability. US ambassador Tom Barrack described the strikes as an “unnecessary escalation”; Israel made no immediate comment, and it is the first attack on the base since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government in December 2024.
- Zambia’s electoral commission declares Hichilema re-elected – The Electoral Commission of Zambia declared Hakainde Hichilema president-elect in the early hours of Tuesday, after completing the count in all 226 constituencies from the vote held on 13 August. The commission recorded 2,965,326 votes for the incumbent, or 60.49 percent, against 1,856,217, or 37.87 percent, for Brian Mundubile, while Al Jazeera reported the shares as 61.4 and 38 percent of valid votes. Mundubile alleges result forms were altered and has called for an independent investigation; European Union observers judged polling day largely peaceful but said the wider process ran on an uneven playing field.
- Pakistan’s Supreme Court orders Imran Khan moved to hospital – A three-member bench headed by Justice Shahid Waheed ruled on Tuesday that the jailed former prime minister be transferred from Adiala prison to Shifa International Hospital in Islamabad within 48 hours, under a medical board that includes his sister and his personal physician. The court acted on a cardiac assessment of 10 August and granted his family visiting rights and calls with his sons abroad. With the next hearing set for 16 September, it would be Khan’s longest period outside jail since his imprisonment in August 2023.
- Russia warns Britain of consequences over drones used in deep strikes – The Russian embassy in London said British-made drones had been used to strike targets on Russian soil for the first time and that “London’s actions will inevitably carry consequences for which it will have to answer”. The warning follows a 752-million-pound package announced by the United Kingdom in June that includes 150,000 drones for Ukraine by the end of 2026. A UK Ministry of Defence spokesperson told the BBC that Britain stands “shoulder to shoulder” with Ukraine.
Economy
- Wall Street falls a third day as chip stocks slide – The S&P 500 closed Tuesday at 7,691.76, down 0.69 percent, the Nasdaq Composite lost 1.33 percent to 26,289.71 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 0.22 percent to 53,343.40. The Philadelphia semiconductor gauge dropped about 5 percent, with Intel off 6 percent and Micron 5 percent, as investors weighed the cost of artificial-intelligence spending against rising borrowing costs. The 30-year Treasury yield held near 5.31 percent, its highest since 2007, while the 10-year stood at about 4.70 percent.
- Japanese shares drop as bond yields hit a three-decade high – The Nikkei 225 fell 2.54 percent on Tuesday to 67,460.73, ending a five-session winning run, while South Korea’s Kospi lost 1.55 percent to 6,869.80. Japan’s 10-year government bond yield climbed to about 2.95 percent, its highest in three decades, on expectations of heavier state spending and a possible Bank of Japan rate rise. Chip and component makers led the decline, with Murata Manufacturing down 9.6 percent and Kioxia 7.6 percent.
- Brent holds above $90 as Hormuz traffic dries up – Brent crude traded around $91 a barrel on Tuesday, with quotes spanning $90.97 at TradingEconomics and $92.42 in early New York dealing, after Monday’s rise of 2.7 percent to $90.87. Five commodity vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday and none on Sunday, against 31 the previous weekend. United States pump prices reached a mid-August record of about $4.06 a gallon.
- Canada races to head off 50 percent US tariffs – Prime Minister Mark Carney, who spoke with Trump by telephone on Monday, called the negotiations “very intense and delicate” ahead of duties that take effect just after midnight on Wednesday. The measures cover about $20 billion of Canadian goods, from cement to hockey sticks, or roughly 5 percent of the country’s exports to the United States. Trade minister Dominic LeBlanc met US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer in Washington on Monday; Greer said his government would “take action” against any retaliation.
World News
- UN peacekeepers record a surge of Israeli fire into south Lebanon – UNIFIL counted an average of 137 projectiles a day fired into southern Lebanon between 5 and 16 August, peaking at 208 on Saturday and 185 on Sunday. Two Israeli air raids on Saturday killed 11 people, including children, and fresh air strikes and mortar fire followed on Monday, sending more families north. Al Jazeera puts the Lebanese death toll since 2 March at 4,346, with a ceasefire agreed on 26 June never fully implemented.
- Houthis say they struck a Saudi frigate in the Red Sea – Military spokesperson Yahya Saree said on Monday that the group had fired missiles at the Saudi vessel Al Madinah and four escort ships in the southern Red Sea. A US official told Fox News that two sailors were killed and three wounded and that the frigate continued its transit; Saudi authorities have not confirmed the account and the toll remains preliminary. It is the latest such claim since the Houthis declared a maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia last month.
- Oil from a grounded tanker keeps spreading along Oman’s coast – Crude leaking from the Caroline Bezengi, a sanctioned tanker carrying about 800,000 barrels of Russian oil that ran aground in June, has fouled beaches at Ras Madrakah near Duqm. Estimates of the slick diverge sharply: Oman’s environment agency measured about 390 square kilometres last week, satellite analysis cited by Al Jazeera put it above 600, and Democracy Now reported on Tuesday that it now exceeds 2,000. Omani authorities expect up to 40 kilometres of shoreline to be affected and have deployed specialist teams alongside the British response firm Ambrey.
- India’s Cockroach movement turns to school conditions – The Cockroach Janata Party, the youth movement that forced the resignation of education minister Dharmendra Pradhan in July, has begun auditing underfunded state schools. A co-convenor joined a sit-in with primary pupils in Alwar district on 14 August to demand extra classrooms, clean toilets and drinking water. Organisers say the government has broken its pledge not to pursue demonstrators, pointing to arrests of student activists.
Bulletin automatically generated on August 18, 2026.
