Sunday, 23 August, 2026

International News Bulletin — August 9, 2026

Politics

  • Netanyahu rejects the US-backed 15-point plan for Gaza – Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told a cabinet meeting on Sunday that “Israel rejects the 15-point document” and that no withdrawal would take place until Hamas is genuinely disarmed, adding that he wanted “real disarmament, not fictitious disarmament”. The framework, announced by United States President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace on 30 July and endorsed by Hamas last month, pairs a phased Israeli withdrawal with the surrender of heavy weapons, military production sites and tunnel networks, and would hand Gaza’s administration to a Palestinian technocratic committee. Netanyahu also said that no Palestinian state would arise while he remained prime minister, and Gaza’s health ministry counts at least 73,300 people killed since October 2023, including some 1,250 since the ceasefire that began in October 2025.
  • Syria and Russia agree to reorganise coastal military bases – Syria’s foreign ministry said on Sunday that a memorandum of understanding reached after 18 months of negotiation would turn the Hmeimim airbase and the Tartus naval base into joint training and capacity-building centres, according to the state news agency SANA. The Syrian state is to take over the civilian facilities at both sites, including Hmeimim Airport and the fourth commercial berth at the port of Tartus, with the transition to be completed within three months. Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani inspected the installations on Sunday, and Moscow had issued no public comment on the text.
  • Pentagon presses arms makers to accelerate munitions output – Deputy Defense Secretary Steve Feinberg has written to defence industry leaders demanding accelerated production plans within 21 days, telling them that “years-long development cycles are not acceptable”, after five months of war with Iran drew down American air-defence stocks. Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said the department was focused on supplying “the weapons our warfighters need at the pace the threat demands”, while President Donald Trump denied any shortage and said the United States held “massive amounts” of munitions. Al Jazeera reported Patriot interceptor holdings down from 2,330 before the war to between 759 and 827, and THAAD interceptors down from 452 to between 234 and 278, and retired Marine colonel Mark Cancian said that if the Patriots run out, “then the missiles get through”.
  • Former Iraqi governor arrested as graft crackdown widens – Iraqi state media reported on Sunday that Ahmed al-Jubouri, governor of Saladin province from 2013 to 2014 and later minister of state for provincial affairs, had been arrested along with the businessman Mohammed al-Hajaf on charges of embezzling and misusing provincial contract funds. Authorities did not disclose the sums involved. Al-Jubouri is secretary general of the National Masses Party, which holds three parliamentary seats, and the arrest follows a campaign under Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi that detained 47 politicians, lawmakers and officials in June alone.
  • Hawaii incumbents hold off progressive primary challengers – Representative Ed Case took 57 percent of the vote against 34 percent for state Senator Jarrett Keohokalole in Saturday’s Democratic primary in Hawaii’s first congressional district, after progressives attacked his vote for the Republican-backed SAVE Act on voter eligibility. Representative Jill Tokuda won the second district nomination with 84 percent, and Governor Josh Green also advanced to the November ballot. Two state legislators lost ground, with the Legislature’s longest-serving member, Senator Les Ihara Jr., trailing Representative Jackson Sayama by 66 percent to 34 percent.

Economy

  • China’s July inflation slows as factory-gate gains ease – The National Bureau of Statistics said on Sunday that Chinese consumer prices rose 0.5 percent year on year in July, half a point less than in June, while core inflation excluding food and energy stood at 0.9 percent and the headline index fell 0.1 percent on the month. Chief statistician Dong Lijuan attributed the monthly decline to slower growth in gasoline prices, with oil extraction prices down 11.8 percent and refined petroleum manufacturing down 8.4 percent from June. Producer prices rose 3.5 percent year on year, easing from 4.1 percent in June to a three-month low, after Beijing pledged to accelerate already-budgeted fiscal spending in response to second-quarter growth of 4.3 percent.
  • Saudi main index ends Sunday session almost unchanged – The Tadawul All Share Index gained 5.44 points, or 0.05 percent, to close at 10,817.01 on Sunday, in one of the few equity sessions held while markets in Europe, Asia and the Americas were shut for the weekend. Turnover reached 3.21 billion riyals, about 856 million dollars, with 102 stocks advancing and 160 declining, according to Arab News. The parallel Nomu market fell 93.38 points to 21,934.40, while the MSCI Tadawul index rose 0.23 percent to 1,454.64.
  • Fires hit two Saudi energy sites as cause stays unclear – An explosion was heard in the Jubail area on Sunday and regional sources said gas facilities in Jubail Industrial City had been targeted and set alight, the Anadolu Agency reported, without confirming the cause or any casualties. Saudi Arabia’s energy ministry separately said a fire at Aramco’s refinery at Jazan had been brought under control and had caused no deaths. Israeli media outlets attributed the Jubail blast to Yemen’s Houthi movement, an attribution that neither Saudi authorities nor the group has confirmed.

World News

  • Typhoon Dolphin makes landfall in eastern China – Dolphin came ashore near Yuhuan in Zhejiang province at about 17:30 local time on Sunday with maximum sustained winds of 151 kilometres per hour, then made a second landfall on the coast of Wenzhou, Chinese meteorological authorities said. More than one million people were moved to safety, among them over 900,000 in Wenzhou, where more than 1,000 emergency shelters opened, 390,000 in Taizhou, 98,900 in Fujian province and 30,300 in Shanghai, whose two main airports cancelled about 1,400 flights. The Ministry of Water Resources warned of major flooding on the Qiantang, Yong, Jiao and Shuiyang rivers, with torrential rain forecast through 10 August across Zhejiang, Shanghai and neighbouring provinces.
  • Landslide leaves seven missing as monsoon floods Luzon – A landslide hit three houses in the northern Philippine resort city of Baguio on Sunday, and five people were pulled out alive while seven remained missing, after days of heavy monsoon rain intensified by Typhoon Dolphin. Flooding across northern Luzon and metropolitan Manila displaced more than 12,000 people and forced schools in several northern cities and towns to close on Friday and Saturday. The Philippine Star reported six deaths from the storms and monsoon rains over the past week, among them villagers killed by a landslide and a rockslide in Benguet and Rizal provinces.
  • Four killed as sightseeing helicopter crashes in Rio – A helicopter on a sightseeing flight crashed near the Vista Chinesa lookout inside Tijuca National Park in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday, killing the pilot and three passengers, the city fire department said. Colombian consul general Diana Paez said the passengers were a grandmother, an aunt and a cousin from one family who had travelled to Brazil for a girl’s fifteenth birthday celebration. Mayor Eduardo Cavaliere said he had contacted the national civil aviation agency ANAC to request tighter oversight of helicopter flights and suggested suspending them temporarily.
  • Sudanese army repels RSF assault in West Darfur – Darfur governor Minni Minnawi said the Sudanese army and the allied Joint Force of Armed Struggle Movements pushed back two mobile Rapid Support Forces units attacking Bir Sleiba in West Darfur, a position the army retook in July. Neither side published casualty figures, and video said to show destroyed paramilitary vehicles has not been verified. The International Organization for Migration recorded 6,650 people displaced from 11 villages in Sirba locality because of the fighting, part of about 8.69 million internally displaced across Sudan since April 2023.
  • UAE extradites alleged crime boss Daniel Kinahan to Ireland – The United Arab Emirates handed Daniel Kinahan to Irish officers on Sunday under a Dubai court ruling and a bilateral extradition treaty, and the Irish government jet carrying him landed at Baldonnel outside Dublin. Kinahan, arrested in Dubai in April, was named by the United States in 2022 as one of three leaders of the Kinahan Organised Crime Group and faces charges of directing a criminal organisation, murder and drug trafficking. He was due to appear before Dublin’s Special Criminal Court on Sunday evening, The Irish Times reported.

Bulletin automatically generated on August 9, 2026.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *